The Defence Policy
- Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, what is the purpose of our defence policy?
- Bernard Woolley: To defend Britain.
- Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, Bernard. It is to make people believe Britain is defended.
- Bernard Woolley: The Russians?
- Sir Humphrey Appleby: Not the Russians, the British! The Russians know it’s not.
Pretty much sums up the Indian defence policy too.
The problem, today, is that even the Indians know it’s not defended. Of course, this state of affairs has very little to do with our defence forces and almost everything to do with the politicians and their politics.
Do read this old post of mine to see how Indian government has reacted to extreme Pakistani provocation in the past (and the real reason for reacting the way it did).